Saturday, July 25, 2009

Gaining Strength


It's been really nice to be back in Flagstaff, as the monsoons have brought us cool rain and beautiful sunsets. Of course all of that rain leads to more weeds in the back yard, but it's a price well worth paying.
Jill is getting her strength back, both physically and mentally. Every evening we go for a nice power hike in the woods and she keeps getting faster and faster. She's also preparing mentally for the battle that lies ahead and knows that she is tough as nails and will beat this thing. I'm amazed as to how mentally and physically strong she is. It's going to be a fight, but she knows she is going to win, and so do I.
A co-worker loaned me Lance Armstrong's first book about his battle with cancer and of course I left it at the office on Friday leading to a nice bike ride this morning while Jill was sleeping in to get the book. He does an inspirational job of describing his attitude towards cancer and how it changed his life in a positive manner.
It really felt good for me to ride my bike again. I've really missed that and it took the stress down a few notches. Speaking of bikes, my greatest distraction through all of this; the Tour de France (say it like Bob Roll "Tour DEE France") is ending tomorrow. Whenever I got overwhelmed by all of this, I would read up on what was happening in the Tour. Contador will win and did it in the style of Lance Armstrong. Dominate the mountains, and crush the time trial. That's our plan for the tumor; dominate the surgery and crush the chemo! (everyone flex like a WWF wrestler and say "Arrggghhhhh!!!!!") (that just doesn't work with a cyclists atrophic upper body)

2 comments:

  1. Hi there, JR and I have a lot of Lance Books if you want to read some more!!! You guys are great. I am so glad that Jill is doing good. We miss you at Masters and we always get in the pool about 10 min too late now, because we always stand there talking about you and Jill:-)Sending good vibes and strength!!!
    Angi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob and Jill I am so happy that you retreat to the woods and refresh your spirits in the Monsoon. Keep all the fresh scents of your hikes close to your hearts while you are in Phoenix. All our thoughts are with you... especially on hikes or on the bike. We look forward to a walk in the woods soon. Jeff and Wendy

    ReplyDelete